San Michele in Cipriano Church was built in 720 in the “borghicciolo”, natural extension of the suburb of San Gervasio.
The present Church was rebuilt in 1195 because of its bad conditions and the collapse happened in XII century, reusing ornaments and pillars of the ancient Church.
Since 1260 the church is named “Ecclesia S. Michaelis de Borghiciolo”.
In 1433 the Prior of St. Bartholomeo in Silice gave the nun Marchesana of Pagano Portici, Mother Superior of the nuns of the third Order, St. Michele church, an adjacent house, a vegetable garden and other properties belonging to the Church.
In 1460 the Church was consecrated and the Monastery had more and more nuns who submitted to the rules of St. Claire.
From the beginning of the XVI century to the last years of the XVIII a lot of works were made, consisting in masonry, decorative and restoration works.
In 1806 , according to the law of the Government Baciocchi which provided the abolition and the confiscation of the properties of the religious communities of Lucca, the Monastery of San Micheletto was transformed in stables for the Princes’ Buonvisi Villa.
In 1827, with the resettlement of the St. Claire’s nuns, the property was transferred to the religious Community which obtained the closure of the lane between the monasteries of San Micheletto and of the Visitazione and the construction of the wall which divided both the monasteries from the Public Square and allowed the exclusive usage of the property common to the two Monasteries.
In 1857 the restoration works started.
With the Unity of Italy a new threat of the religious Orders abolition occurred.
In 1896 the Town Council obtained the closure of the Monastery still allowing to the nuns the usage of a small part of it.
In 1901 the Town Council returned it to the nuns; then, because of the fear of new oppressions, the religious community got the property of the Monastery to the Religious Opera of Holy Land .
In 1945 the Monastery, inhabited by a small number of nuns, started a long series of leases, with school institutes, of most of the premises of the northern wing of the monastery.
With the leaving of the monastery by the nuns, in 1972 San Micheletto becomes a property of the Cassa di Risparmio of Lucca.